Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It Has Nothing To Do With You. Really.

I read somewhere recently that "The alcoholic isn't drinking at you."  They're not doing it, in other words, to upset you, to irritate you, to piss you off, to make you depressed and wonder why the hell you married them.  Although you may wonder that.  Alcoholics drink because they're alcoholics.  They may try to blame it on someone or something.  But it isn't personal.

It's a shame that it took two weeks of really phenomenally romantic, sweet and thoughtful behavior on the part of my husband to catalyze the epiphany that you know what?  Wow.  This has nothing to do with me.  I've been the same - doing the same sweet things, talking the same, texting the same, asking the same questions, doing my own thing.  It's him that has come around.

I say it's a shame because for most of us - for me, anyway - the crappier things said to me have always been easier to believe, as if it is the truth being reflected back to me through the behavior of others.  This poor treatment leads to me feeling somehow to blame.  And it starts with the Why's - Why is he doing this?  Why is he suddenly acting this way?  Why is he like this to me?  Why does he treat me and only me like this?  Then there are the How's - How does this happen?  How does he think this is okay?  How can he not see what this is doing to me?  How does this happen?  Inevitably the Why's and the How's lead to the Maybe's.  Maybe if I hadn't said this.  Maybe if I tried doing that.  Maybe if next time I make sure this.  Maybe it's because he needs more sleep.  Maybe he's really truly actually upset about that.  

Then comes the self-blame, the guilt, and down the rabbit hole I go, sucked into the darkness with a pinhole of light above me that I can't see.  I'm hopeless, helpless, out of control and out of my mind with fear, stuck in The Past and scared to death of The Future.  Meanwhile, The Present goes by and if I am not worried, distraught and depressed, I busy myself with distractions - some healthy, some not so healthy.  But mostly I ponder The Dilemma, which is What Am I Going To Do?  And the wind blows, and The Present slips away, and there I am moving along into The Future that I'm so afraid of, looking over my shoulder into The Past.

Today's meeting topic was "letting go and starting over."  Lightbulb.  "I've forgotten that phrase, 'Let go or be dragged' " I shared today, and went on to describe the analogy of my current experience, which is me clinging for life to a rope tied to my husband's truck as he drags me along, "Oh, go ahead and go wherever you want and just drag me along, I'll just be hanging back here for the bumps and twists and turns."  But you can't yank a truck to a stop as you're being pulled by it any more than you can stop the direction an alcoholic is moving toward and pull them back to reality, reign them in.

This is, in my mind, a Step 1 issue.  "Focusing on anyone else but ourselves keeps us in denial" was part of the lead today, and it's so true - the more I focus on his behavior, the more I start to wonder why, and how, and think maybe, and pretty soon I think well, I could fix this somehow.  Which is the illusion of control.  And remember - the Three C's tell us that we didn't Cause it, can't Control it, and can't Cure it.  So thinking that I'm somehow to blame, that maybe if I do x it will fix it, completely goes against this wise acronym.

It is so much easier, I have found, to lovingly detach when things are consistently bad than when there is a dramatic change for the better in our circumstances.  Suddenly I am right there where I used to be, feeling connected with my husband, forgetting that yes, this too shall pass, and when the pendulum swings the other way I find myself just absolutely crushed.  And I must tell you all that I cannot remember a time in the recent past several years in which my husband had been this consistently good to me.  I don't just mean the absence of fits or tantrums or emotional/verbal abuse - I mean proactively kind and thoughtful treatment.  To have him switch back so quickly was a swift kick to the groin of my heart.  So to speak.  I have been devastated and despondent, grieving and angry.

So for now, I am trying to remember that this has nothing to do with me.  I'm a good wife to my husband.  I am far from perfect and I make my mistakes, but throughout I do my conscious best to remain loving and kind.  In no way do I deserve unacceptable behavior, and in no way does his drinking or tantrums have anything to do with me.  My husband has his choices, though he may not see this or understand them, and I have mine.  My choices and my behavior are my property - his are his.  It doesn't matter if he says he's upset for this reason or that.  Even if I have screwed up or said something rude, my husband does not need to react the way he usually does.  He has his choices.

It has nothing to do with me.  Really.

3 comments:

  1. I plan on attending my first meeting this week. I'm at the end of my rope. I have no clue how to deal with his problem without letting it affect me. I let him get the best of me tonight, he knows exactly what to say. I'm ashamed that I'm not yet able to disregard his words. I just don't know how someone can be so mean. I'm in therapy and on medication for this and other events in the last two years that have caused me extreme depression, and he calls me crazy and tells me to take my meds...knowing what a huge step it was for me to seek help in the first place, that cuts me like a knife. I feel betrayed and like I don't want to share anything with him.

    Tonight he told me if I didn't buy him beer on my way home that I would come home to hell. I'm so mad that I did, but truthfully I'm scared. This man that I loved so much has me afraid and I'm not in a positon to get out right now. I have a teenage daughter that I'm trying to keep the peace for but I don't know how much longer I can. I hate him for what he's doing. I know my only option is to go to meetings, take care of myself and get out as soon as I can but in moments like this it is so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate and I am so sorry for your situation. I too go to therapy and am on medication. My husband gets drunk and blames EVERYTHING on me. I have to keep reminding myself my self though that it's what alcoholics do.. He will say, "Be sure to bring that up to your doctor this week! I'm not the one who is on 19 different medications!" Going to Al Anon is the best decision I have ever made. It really works and it reminds me that there is nothing wrong with me, that I am actually taking care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this so badly today. As you wrote, "It is so much easier, I have found, to lovingly detach when things are consistently bad than when there is a dramatic change for the better in our circumstances. Suddenly I am right there where I used to be, feeling connected with my husband, forgetting that yes, this too shall pass, and when the pendulum swings the other way I find myself just absolutely crushed." - Goodness gracious isn't that the truth?? It is for me right now. Things were going so well..I thought I had finally gotten through to him...but then the disease reared its ugly head again in the form of yet another 18 pack of beer, which he so casually put in the fridge. I had a panic attack so bad I attacked my brain with Xanax in the hopes that it would calm me down. It did, but then he got angry at me, told me *I* was the sick one!! *Sigh* But then I must remind myself to Let Go and Let God. Let it go. Surrender. God will guide you, if you only listen. And I realized I turn my ears, heart, and soul off to God when things are good...no wonder I feel like I'm falling off a cliff with no rope to tie me down when sh*t hits the fan again.

    Again, thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete