Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy Bloggiversary

Wow. It's been a full year since I started this little recovery/online journal/dark comedy experiment, and 44 posts later I am not surprised by how much more there is to explore, discuss and share. I am as ever humbled by the community of readers and sharers here, and I look forward to fleshing out and publishing the 29 drafts that have been waiting in the wings.

A lot has happened over the last 12 months. You know, I remember exactly where I was that night, literally and figuratively, as I sat in our dining room and signed up with Blogger, then typed and emoted and edited away and clicked "publish" on my introductory post. I remember the fear, the frustration, the feeling of emotionally throwing my hands in the air and wondering "What else can I do?!" My husband's behavior was completely irrational and unacceptable, and my own obsession with his drinking and behavior was unacceptable. When I found bottles I was compelled to look for more. I spent hours analyzing what he said, what he looked like when he came hone, trying to smell his breath and seeing if I could "catch him in the act."

But more than anything else, I spent even more time forming the story in my head that, summarized, is "Husband bad, me good." I replayed every outburst, recalled every insult, and fantasized about smarter, wittier and at times just plain dramatic responses and reactions. Soon my imagined life was worthy of silent-era fainting, villain-hissing and damsel-rescuing. Sure, things could get pretty crazy. And there is a lot of real pain and legitimate damage. But.

It was just a bit much.

And if my mind wasn't wrapped up in a self-righteous, codependent revenge scenario, it was worrying about the future. What would he do next, how will I respond, should I leave him? But then what? Where will I go, what will I do? What would my friends and family think? Would some of them come back and respect me more? Would they judge and abandon me? How would my husband and I divide up our things, decide on the pets? Could I sneak the espresso machine without him noticing?

It is still my first impulse to cast myself as the heroine, the victim; to worry and panic and shake from fear, to mentally pack and unpack several times a day. Thankfully, after a little recovery and a ton of Al Anon meetings, the alarm sounds sooner now and I can rescue myself from myself - often my own worse enemy.

There is so much to catch up on. A resolution of mine this new year is to post more often to prevent these backlogs and to offer up more of everything, especially the honest and fearless analysis of my own shortcomings, to further my own recovery and possibly shed light on a path for any of you who are sitting where I was that night. Thank you so much to everyone who reads here. There really is hope.

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog. It helps so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this blog. My husband is a functioning alcoholic too. Some how never seems so bad that i would mentally 'pack my bags' but it isnt right either, and its bloody lonely being in a marriage like that. Hes a great dad and the children love him so i guess we keep on going. It is helping me to hear that it isnt just me in a situation like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived and loved a functional alcoholic for nearly 25 years. We have moved 7 times and lived in 6 country's. Today was the 3rd in a series of him admitting he has a problem (after some incidents nothing violent or Dui) and that he just cannot drink any more. One situation involved his kids. That said each move starts out great he has always been successful $$ and we want for nothing except.. what we could have if I didn't feel lonely often because of his binge drinking. Fast forward to now, with young adult children who I protected for years from knowing this, they have confronted him and me. It's quite sad and painful, but worth hanging in...now. Back to your comment, I too imagined leaving a myriad of times over the years, but never did. Work and kids were always good and I was the lonely one, but would not want to embarrass the family by truly dealing with it. I made a commitment for life and was dam sure I was not going to let this beat us. I hope he is truly ready because I certainly am.

      Delete
  3. Great post! and I totally identify with many things you mentioned, especially the constant trying to "catch him in the act". I like your resolution for the new year. It's a good step to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog this evening and have been reading lots of the posts in tears. I believe I am married to a functioning alcoholic. My husband behaves in such similar ways to yours, except he's nowhere near so openly unpleasant, just quietly unpleasant and disrespectful.

    I believe our marriage is as good as over but I have nowhere to go and I don't want to upset the children (who am I kidding, they're teenagers now and they are very aware of their father's drinking habits). When they occasionally remonstrate with him about his drinking he tells them they 'sound just like your mother'.

    Yours words above ring so true:
    "It is still my first impulse to cast myself as the heroine, the victim; to worry and panic and shake from fear, to mentally pack and unpack several times a day."

    I know I have a lot of work to do on myself to get through all this - and I'm going to start by reading the rest of your posts.

    Thank you so much for writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't seen a post in quite a while...someone needs to be checking on you. Are you okay?

    ReplyDelete