Sunday, December 15, 2013

Working On My White Space





I need to stop staring at the black dot.

A program friend of mine attended a newcomer's meeting recently, in which she heard a fantastic share: a woman recalled how her sponsor held up a blank sheet of paper, and then on the sheet of paper put one black dot.  When asked what she saw, the woman said "a black dot."  Her sponsor then wisely pointed out the overwhelming amount of blank space around the dot.  

"The blank space is waiting to be filled with our lives, our hopes and our dreams.  Our passions, hobbies and interests."

When I heard this I thought - "I. Am so. Tired."  

The other morning I woke up with a migraine.  Woke up, after a full night's sleep, with a migraine.  And all I could think was, "Hey, wait a second - isn't the wrong person hungover, here?"  

But just like my husband may become sick with withdrawal from alcohol, I make myself sick - with the constant obsession over what he's thinking, planning, drinking, and the subsequent withdrawals of ME.  

MY plans.
MY interests.
MY passions.
MY life.

Back in the day, I used to be a much more interesting person.  I used to you know, know stuff.  Stuff that I could talk about intelligently and passionately, like books.  Books that I was able to read cover to cover without stopping because it was before the time that it became too much work to read something so completely unrelated to anything having to do with alcoholism, recovery - basically anything that I was too busy worrying about to actually live my life.  And to boot, all this has left me feeling oh, a tad socially awkward.

I have lost myself.

A few months ago, a kind soul opened her home to me while I was traversing the country on a wee road trip.  A planned lunch stop was quickly rescheduled.  "I think you should stay the night :o)" she texted.  So it was a lovely two days of lounging, chatting, drinking tea, exploring, doing everyday things, drinking more tea, and being in the world again.

At one point my friend asked me The Question.  The Question which I had so much trouble answering that made me think, something is really wrong here.  Why is this so hard?  It went like this:

"So what kinds of movies do you typically watch?"
"Um..."
".....?"
"....."
"Comedies?"
"Um...."
"Well what was the last movie you saw?"
"...."
"....?"
"Hold on I'm thinking."

Finally I squeaked out "Yeah, um, comedies...um...historical dramas?"  I was in a panic.  The fact of the matter was I didn't even know what movies I like anymore.  I may as well have answered with something like "Movies good.  Popcorn.  Actors."  *Facepalm*

So as I'm thinking about all this I had a little epiphany.  Have you ever seen one of those optical illusions where you look at a picture for a length of time and then afterwards, the picture remains in your sight?  That's the problem with focusing on the black dot so intensely.  Even when you try to look away YOU SEE IT EVERYWHERE.  Dot.  Dot.  Dot!  DOT.  A hologram haunting every attempt at refocus elsewhere.  

Sure, the black dot is there.  There's nothing we can do about the black dot itself - it exists in our lives, I mean, it's there.  To pretend it's not there is denial, and I was there for a long time.  If we want the black dot to "go away", that would mean a few different things: after some serious thinking about whether to stay or go, either the removal of ourselves from our relationship...or?  That's it.  If we don't want the black dot in our lives, that's it.

For those of us who remain, or for those of us who may have a relationship with a high-functioning alcoholic and cannot break up or divorce that person (they are our parents, our children, or other family members) what we can do is work on our white space.  Fill up our own lives with who we are, what we're passionate about.  Maybe it's a favorite charity to which we haven't devoted much time, maybe it's taking more time to care for our own health and well-being - making that yoga class on Wednesday nights that we "never have time for" or asking a friend or neighbor to watch the kids so we can catch a movie.  Or relaxing and reading that book that's been gathering dust on our nightstand, getting back into an old hobby or interest, catching up with friends.  I guarantee you there are tons of things I can't even think of because I'm just not completely there yet myself to even fathom what they are.

What it means, ultimately, is to be more present in our own lives.  To honor our own spirits, our amazingly varied and special personalities, and to nourish the relationships we have with friends and family.  I can tell you this - sure, I am geographically handicapped and am miles and miles from those I love, but I sure miss my friends.  A few in particular, who had been such a bright, fun source of friendship and support, that surely I was not a proper friend to, as I was too busy dealing with "everything" to really be there for them.  And they spent so much time being there for me, lifting and filling me up.  They knew my circumstances and I felt safe with them, free from judgment.

My heart misses them, and as we're right in the middle of the holiday season it makes me want to drive all the way to their houses, skip wildly back and forth in front of their front lawns with signs and say "Thank you!  Thank you for seeing ME in the middle of everything, thank you for loving and caring for ME.  Now it's your turn!"  My friends and family are such a huge part of ME, and who I am, and fostering relationships with my wonderful "family of choice" is a tremendous blessing.  And I hope that I can get closer to being the real ME as I come out of this dark cloud, to be the real and great friend, daughter, sister and loved one that I know I am.

We are so fortunate to have those in our lives that do this for us, and it's completely and totally okay that sometimes we are that person that do those things for us, that we are enough.  A couple weeks ago I ordered a gorgeous flowery electric tea kettle, and a dainty cup and saucer set, just one of each.  And at night, after a lovely bath with essential oils, I truly relish sitting down to a great cup of Earl Grey, reading my new favorite book, surrounded by my snoozing animals.  It doesn't sound like much but it's a huge step for me, and I love it.  Maybe it's serenity that I'm experiencing, and it's a feeling that I didn't think I could have in my situation.  It makes me feel stronger and more able to take care of myself, and build my own life.  That I can and will be okay.  That I am enough.

There are certain things that make me feel like myself again.  The Real Me is in there, and when I do these things she opens her eyes, yawns and stretches at the day, looks around and says "Ah, here I am.  I am here."

What are those things for you?  What helps you feel like yourself again?

It's That Time of Year, and it can be challenging to focus on our white space right now.  But as always, my hope stretches out to you that you can find a small corner of your own white space, curl up in it or stretch out, throw some pottery, go hiking, sign up for that beginner's French class you always wanted to take, make your grandmother's ravioli, dance around and frolic or take a nap.  Whatever floats your boat.

As for me, time to go study up on Netflix.  If someone else asks me The Question anytime soon, I want to be prepared.


6 comments:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog...and am really grateful for it. I have a question: have you told your husband you go to AA/al-anon meetings? If so, is he angry or resentful? Thanks, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t even know how to be me. How to enjoy myself. How to be happy. What to do at this point. I’m 50 years old and alone. My husband drinks on his way home from work and continues until he goes to bed. He is a functional alcoholic. This has become worse the last year. I hate when he has a day off and I come home from work and he has been drinking all afternoon. I don’t even want to get out of my car. A few days ago he had been out and when I asked him a few questions, he told me to F-off and get the f-away from him. Nice huh? The next morning we planned to go Christmas shopping and he apologized about what he said. This is the first time in a long period of time; he even said I’m sorry. We had an enjoyable afternoon, didn’t even ask about stopping anywhere for a beer. The next day was his office Christmas Party and he didn’t want me to go. I just embarrass him because I sit like a bump on a log looking pissed. In the past, he has left me sitting at a table, while he goes to the bar and outside to smoke. He doesn’t socialize with the other managers whom I know and their wives, because their all a-holes. I don’t know how many times he has embarrassed me, but he decided I didn’t need to go this year. Some years, I have dreaded going and would have been happy to stay home. This year I couldn’t believe he went without me. Why does this hurt so badly? The next day, he didn’t care I was hurt. He told the owner, “she wasn’t up to it”. I’ve been planning on seeing a lawyer, to find out what I’d be entitled to in a divorce settlement, so why have I been so painfully hurt by this action? I’m so lost right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm so happy to have found your blog. I, too, can relate so well to your stories. It's hitting rather hard. The problem has been there all along, for the four years we've been married, but I'm only coming to terms with the facts now. We have a 2yr old, and I'm afraid it's only going to get harder for us the longer I stay. My husband is an amazing dad right now, but a terrible husband. My question for you is why do you stay? It doesn't sound like there is enough love there to make it worth while. I don't want to offend or upset you, and I appreciate your candid writings so much. I'm hoping to find a reason to stay, and right now "love" just isn't cutting it. Thank you, again, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thank you for this post. Thank you for reminding me to not forget about me! Keep writing please, I can always learn from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog for three months and I can't say enough how grateful I am. Tonight, you offer clarity to my confusion.

    After starting Al-Anon three months ago, I told myself I would focus on me and not the alcoholic, I recently tried to sidestep the issue of alcoholism and focus on "fixing" my marriage. Surely, we have other issues and I have a part in them, I thought. For the last three weeks, I've enmeshed myself in my marriage with the best of intentions, but found only loneliness and frustration.

    For me, my marriage is the black dot. Alcoholism is in there, too, but I can't allow myself to focus on the health or future of my marriage yet. It becomes an unhealthy obsession and depletes my energy. I go blind to all the white space of my own life so easily.

    Thank you for all the inspiration you've offered in your post. It's just what I need to refocus my priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the words literally right out of my head. My marriage, too, is my black dot. It's hard for me to feel not guilty about doing what I want to do because he then calls me selfish, and says I'm not an "equal partner." Which of course, rips me to shreds...but I need to not feel so guilty about doing what I want to do. Thank you for making me feel not so alone.

      Delete